About Income Tax
Income tax is defined as a tax imposed on individuals or entities (taxpayers) in respect of the income or profits earned by them (commonly called taxable income). Income tax generally is computed as the product of a tax rate times the taxable income. Taxation rates may vary by type or characteristics of the taxpayer and the type of income
You may also like to read about GST.
What is Income Tax Calculator?
The Income tax calculator is an easy-to-use online tool that helps you estimate your taxes based on your income after the Union Budget is presented. We have updated our tool in line with the income tax changes proposed in the Union Budget 2022-23.(Read the highlights here)
How to use the Income tax calculator for FY 2022-23 (AY 2023-24)?
Below are the steps to use the tax calculator:
1. Choose the financial year for which you want your taxes to be calculated.
2. Select your age accordingly. Tax liability in India differs based on the age groups.
3. Click on 'Go to Next Step'
4. Enter your taxable salary i.e. salary after deducting various exemptions such as HRA, LTA, standard deduction, and so on. (if you want to know your tax liability under the old tax slabs)
Or else, just enter your salary i.e salary without availing exemptions such as HRA, LTA, standard deduction, professional tax and so on. (if you want to know your tax liability under the new tax slabs)
5. Along with taxable salary, you must enter other details such as interest income, rental income, interest paid on home loan for rented, and interest paid on loan for self occupied property.
6. For Income from Digital Assets, enter the net income ( Sale consideration less Cost of Acquisition), such income is taxed at 30% Plus applicable surcharge and cess.
7. Click on 'Go to Next Step' again.
8. In case, you want to calculate your taxes under the old tax slabs,you will have to enter your tax saving investments under section 80C, 80D, 80G, 80E and 80TTA.
9. Click on 'Calculate' to get your tax liability. You will also be able to see a comparison of your pre-budget and post-budget tax liability (old tax slabs and new tax slabs).
Note: Whichever field is not applicable, you can enter "0".
What are the exemptions/ deductions that are disallowed under the new tax regime?
Individual or HUF opting for taxation under the newly inserted section 115BAC of the Act shall not be entitled to the following exemptions/deductions:
(i) Leave travel concession as contained in clause (5) of section 10;
(ii) House rent allowance as contained in clause (13A) of section 10;
(iii) Some of the allowance as contained in clause (14) of section 10;
(iv) Allowances to MPs/MLAs as contained in clause (17) of section 10;
(v) Allowance for the income of minor as contained in clause (32) of section 10;
(vi) Exemption for SEZ unit contained in section 10AA;
(vii) Standard deduction, deduction for entertainment allowance and employment/professional tax as contained in section 16;
You can also read about Form 16.
(viii) Interest under section 24 in respect of self-occupied or vacant property referred to in sub-section (2) of section 23. (Loss under the head income from house property for the rented house shall not be allowed to be set off under any other head and would be allowed tobe carried forward as per extant law);
(ix) Additional deprecation under clause (iia) of sub-section (1) of section 32;
(x) Deductions under section 32AD, 33AB, 33ABA;
(xi) Various deduction for donation for or expenditure on scientific research contained in sub-clause (ii) or sub-clause (iia) or sub-clause (iii) of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2AA) of section 35;
(xii) Deduction under section 35AD or section 35CCC;
(xiii) Deduction from family pension under clause (iia) of section 57;
(xiv) Any deduction under chapter VIA (like section 80C, 80CCC, 80CCD, 80D, 80DD, 80DDB, 80E, 80EE, 80EEA, 80EEB, 80G, 80GG, 80GGA, 80GGC, 80IA, 80-IAB, 80-IAC, 80-IB, 80-IBA, etc). However, deduction under sub-section (2) of section 80CCD (employer contribution on account of the employee in notified pension scheme) and section 80JJAA (for new employment) can be claimed.
Following allowances shall be allowed as notified under section 10(14) of the Act to the Individual or HUF exercising option under the proposed section:
a) Transport Allowance granted to a divyang employee to meet the expenditure for the purpose of commuting between place of residence and place of duty
b) Conveyance Allowance granted to meet the expenditure on conveyance in performance of duties of an office;
c) Any Allowance granted to meet the cost of travel on tour or on transfer;
d) Daily Allowance to meet the ordinary daily charges incurred by an employee on account of absence from his normal place of duty.
You can even get your tax computation on your mail.
You can also read about Income Tax Verification.